We rescued a dog; a black and white basset hound named Callie. She is an absolutely adorable slobbery mess but we love her to pieces. I'm hoping to share a picture of her gorgeousness here soon. She loves these yummy biscuits! They're an inexpensive, simple alternative to store bought treats. Much healthier, too!
I found dog bone cookie cutters at JoAnn Fabrics for only .99, but you can find them here online.
Wouldn't these make a great Christmas gift, prettily packaged, for the dog lover in your family? I think so!
Callie thinks so, too.
Peanut Butter Banana Doggie Treats
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup peanut or almond butter (I used natural almond butter)
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (approximately one ripe banana)
- 1 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour (store bought is fine if you don't have a grain mill)
- 1/2 cup freshly ground oat flour
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
Here's what to do:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Stir together the egg, peanut/almond butter, and banana in a medium bowl; stir until well blended. Stir in the flours and mix well. Place dough onto a floured cutting board and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shape with a cookie cutter, place on prepared baking sheet, and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake treats in preheated oven until dried and golden brown, about 30 minutes, depending on their size.