If you’re looking to get serious about your Bible Study, you’ll need to invest in a Bible that is right for you. As a Christian woman, the Bible is a crucial resource for spiritual growth, teaching, reflection, and prayer. Through the use of this simple guide, you’ll learn what a Study Bible is, what to look for in a Study Bible that’s geared to women, and how to use it to deepen your relationship with God.
For many women, choosing a Study Bible is not a simple task. While you have tons of options available with a quick Google search, it can be overwhelming to try and find the best Study Bible for you. Let’s narrow it down and take a closer look at our four top picks for the best Study Bibles for women on the market today.
What Is A Study Bible?
Study Bibles are Bibles that contain the word of God as well as additional content to make it easier to understand and learn on a deeper level.
Study Bibles will still include the basics such as the Old and New Testaments, along with footnotes, reading plans, and deeper analysis of specific sections. Due to the level of content in a Study Bible, it’s usually heavier, broader, and thicker than regular Bibles. Depending on the specific Study Bible you choose, you may find these features included:
- Extra Room: Usually, Study Bible will leave a ton of whitespace for you to reflect and take notes. This is done on purpose so that you can track important comments and discussion that takes place during your bible study sessions.
- Study Notes: Scattered throughout the text, you might find boxes that will help explain the subject you just read. This is to help clarify what is behind the verse or the interpretation of a hard-to-understand text by various scholars and how it relates to our everyday life.
- Charts: Visual aids not only help us understand on a deeper level but help draw out things that may be unclear through text. With some Study Bibles, you may find various charts or tables illustrated throughout explaining things like family trees or historical timelines.
- Introductions: Book introductions are between one to five pages of text that help explain to readers the content they’re about to read. It helps to set up an image or tie together everything that will happen. This helps to get the reader in the right headspace to tackle the rest of the text.
If you’d like to learn more about studying the Bible, be sure to check out our post How to Study the Bible For Beginners.
4 Best Study Bibles For Women
If you’re looking to start your Bible study journey, we’ve put together the top four Bibles you should consider before getting started. These Study Bibles are beautifully designed, highly reviewed, and intended for women readers.
#1 – The ESV Women’s Study Bible
If you’re looking for an easy way to understand the Bible on a deeper level, the ESV Women’s Study Bible is the perfect choice for you. This Study Bible is a bit more of a literal translation of the original text. The best part is the amount of support it contains to help you understand what you’re reading. There are more than 20,000 footnotes and 80,000 cross-references, as well as maps, articles, and charts located throughout the Bible. This particular version includes contributions from Ann Voskamp, Jen Wilkin, and more. With five stars on Amazon, many women are giving it rave reviews! The ESV is my personal favorite.
Click here to view the ESV Women’s Study Bible on Amazon.
#2 – The NLT Life Application Study Bible
If you’re looking for the best-selling Study Bible on the market, you need to consider the NLT Life Application Study Bible. Not only is it a great choice for both women and men alike, but it’s more focused on the meaning of the Bible passages instead of a literal translation, making it a great choice for many beginners. You can find tons of footnotes, character studies, cross-referencing, and charts throughout the book to help you understand the content even further. It’s available in a wide range of colors; the plum color is especially beautiful!
Click here to view the NLT Life Application Study Bible on Amazon.
Pro Tip: If you’re creative, there’s a NLT Creative Journaling Bible you might want to check out and, if you have a daughter, there’s a NLT Life Application Study Bible for Girls, too!
#3 – NIV Women’s Study Bible
If you’re looking for a Bible that will help you understand the meaning of the word without having to stray very far from literal translation, the NIV Women’s Study Bible is perfect for you. The articles featured throughout the Bible contain more than 100 character studies of women in the Bible and were written by women of all color, ethnicity, and occupational backgrounds. With over 4,000 reviewers giving it a solid five stars, it’s easy to see why this gorgeous Study Bible really speaks to the heart of women.
Click here to view the NIV Women’s Study Bible on Amazon.
#4 – The CSB Study Bible For Women
This balanced translation Study Bible is most comprehensive Study Bible ever prepared for women, by women. The CSB Study Bible For Women provides many resources, including character references of women mentioned in the Bible, a thorough concordance, and multiple studies created by various women. If you’re trying to understand the overall meaning of a large section of text, the CSB bible makes it easy to understand. It’s perfect for daily Bible reading and also for preparing to teach Bible Studies.
Click here to view the CSB Study Bible on Amazon.
Embarking On your Bible Study Journey
Once you’ve chosen your ideal Bible, it’s time to get started on studying. Deciding to devote your time to Bible study is a meaningful way to grow spiritually. However, before getting started, you’ll want to make a few decisions to set yourself up for success:
- Individual or Group Setting: Before getting started, you should first consider whether you’d like to conduct the Bible Study by yourself or if you’re looking to do this in a group setting. This is a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.
- Deepness: If you’ve studied the Bible before, it might be a good idea to go further into a specific topic or book. If you’ve never studied the Bible before, try to search for a simpler study that you find interesting.
- Length: How long do you want to spend on each of your Bible study sessions? Will you do this for a couple of weeks, months, or days? Having an idea of the length and how many times a week will help you commit to one study and know the expectations.
- Format: Will you be able to go in-depth on the topic at hand without going over the amount of time you’ve mapped out for Bible Study? Ensure the format works with your Bible study goals.
- Spiritual Needs: Sometimes, the Bible Study can help us find answers to specific needs or problems we may have. This could touch upon many topics like God’s forgiveness, faith, worry, stress, marriage, and more.
If you’re still unsure where to start in your Bible Study Journey, it might be helpful to pray to God and ask for guidance, grace, and growth in your spiritual life. However you choose to study, you’ll be diving deeper into an understanding of God and truth. Indulge yourself in your work and try to be the best you can be with everything you do in His name. Start by investing in the right Study Bible to get started on this journey today.
You might also like:
- 7 Easy Bible Reading Plans For Beginners
- How to Study the Bible
- How to Use the SOAP Bible Study Method
FREE WEEKLY PRAYER JOURNAL
Our free weekly prayer journal comes to your email and is completely printable, so you can print it as often as you like. It’s beautiful and will help inspire you to dig deeper in prayer. Get it here.
Leave a Reply