Power Muffins: Jump Start Your Morning!

We love these muffins for a healthy jump start in the morning, hence the name Power Muffins :o )  And they're easy to make, too!

What you'll need:

1 1/2 cups flour (we use whole wheat, but you can also use AP)
3/4 c ground flax seed
3/4 c oat bran
3/4 c honey
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 c milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tbsp oil
2 cups shredded carrots (use your food processor or do a fine chop by hand)
2 apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

How to do it:

1.  Preheat your oven to 350.  Oil your muffin pan.

2.  In a large bowl, mix flour, flax, bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Add the milk, honey, eggs, and oil; stir until just blended.

3.  Stir in the carrots, apples, raisins, and nuts.

4.  Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. I like to use a soup ladle to do this :o )

5.  Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Mmmm!

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Like a Bubbling Brook email updates - it's free and delivers new posts about faith, homemaking, and real foods right to your inbox.

Follow along on Facebook. | NEW! Now you can also join us on Twitter. | NEW! Join in the LABB community via our Facebook page.

Comments

1. Melissa says:

Wow. That's a lot of stuff in those! Thanks for the recipe!

2. gfe--gluten free easily says:

Those are some power muffins–super nutritional! I love that I can use honey from our bees in them, plus I have some carrots already grated. Last, they'll be easy to make gluten free. Thanks so much!

Shirley

3. Me and My Pink Mixer says:

Yum ~ definitely trying this recipe soon!

4. Tia says:

We have a different name for these but absolutely LOVE them! They taste so delicious and are packed full of goodies to start the day.

5. Ania says:

I just made 2 batches of these and I absolutely love these!!!!! (I used King Arthur Organic whole wheat flour – blue package) =) next is the bread recipe.

Thank you for sharing!

p.s. I love your blog – it is very inspiring.

6. I must try.

7. Too funny! I have a “power” muffin recipe too. But not as powerful I believe as yours is – WOW! These look amazing. I can’t wait to give them a try! I am going to try soaking the grains first and see how that works out and will let you know, if you’d like? :)

8. These look amazing!!!!!! I am going to have to try them!

9. Amy says:

I just made these and they are fantastic straight out of the oven! I’m just hoping that they will be as yummy in the morning for breakfast =). Thank you for the good recipe!