Looking for things to do in Orlando with kids? Here are some free or cheap things you can do in Central Florida, besides Disney!
Things to do in Orlando besides Disney
Frugal alternatives to Disney for those of you planning your next vacation:
- Meet up with long-time friends and create memories
- Stay at a resort with a great pool and spend the days swimming
- Visit the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens – it’s a small zoo, but unique and very nicely done; our boys were able to hug a llama and pet an armadillo 🙂
- Visit the Orlando Science Center – be sure to check out the real half a brain (eek!), the hurricane force winds simulator, and the real volcano model
- Walk the boardwalk and see the manatees at Blue Spring State Park; if your children are older, take out kayaks (available hourly) or snorkel the spring
- Stroll the kid-friendly shops and restaurants at Downtown Disney (edit: it’s since been renamed to Disney Springs) – it’s free 🙂
- Enjoy massive ice cream sundaes at Ghirardelli
- Venture up to St. Augustine, the oldest city in America
- Drive to the gulf coast area near Tampa. Enjoy the beaches and watch for dolphins.
Here is a handful of highlights from our twelve day trip:
|I was thankful for a kitchen so that I could cook up yummy breakfasts and also for a whole foods store nearby; here is my omelette, with sprouted grain raisin bread, and the best turkey bacon ever.|
|I was so proud of my oldest son in this photo – we took him out for a rather unique dinner, and he bravely tried (and enjoyed!) goat cheese, lamb, crab, and much more. This made me smile 🙂|
We made great memories, but it’s good to be home. What do you like to do in Florida?