Yes, it’s one week later than we normally begin.
I’m keeping the first semester streamlined, using our favorite Rod & Staff curriculum for each subject. Once we get more settled in our new home and schedule, I may change a few things, but right now this works for us.
This year we busy ourselves with second grade, which is comprised of Bible study, reading, math, basic grammar, spelling, and phonics on a daily basis. Once each week, we’re adding in health, manners, social studies, penmanship, and nature in 10-15 minute increments.
We’re blessed with an excellent homeschool cooperative program nearby, with enrichment classes available just for homeschooling families, of which we are reaping the benefits of a history unit study class as well as an art class.
Here are some resources that have been helpful as we’ve planned this year:
- Joy @ FiveJs.com has great education-related articles and printables available here.
- The Well Planned Day Family Homeschool Planner is due to arrive here this week. I’m excited about using it; LABB readers gave it a thumbs up when we discussed it on our FB page.
- Ann Voskamp’s post “Why Would Anyone Be Crazy Enough to Homeschool?” has blessed me yet again. It’s from earlier this year, but I find myself revisiting it for encouragement and inspiration.
- I enjoyed Mrs. June Fuentes’s list of homeschool tips. Like her, we have Friday Fun Days; any work we’ve fallen behind on gets done in the morning, but the rest of the day is for “fun”. Field trips to the park, museum, or nature center are our primary agenda on Fridays. (Also, Mrs. Fuentes is a dear friend; have you checked out her blog before? You will be blessed by it! She just released her ebook “True Christian Motherhood.” Click here to view more details.)
Whether or not you’ve chosen to homeschool, are you actively involved in your child’s education? What resources have blessed you? I’d love to know!
*If you’d like to see last year’s curriculum (1st grade), it’s listed here.
If you enjoyed this, subscribe to Like a Bubbling Brook email updates – it’s free and delivers new posts about faith, homemaking, and real foods right to your inbox.
Please Visit Our Current Sponsors & Affiliates:
Carrot Ink – Click here to save up to 10% off and Free Shipping (NEW!!! Great deals on printer ink!)
Directive 21– Berkey water systems, seed banks, emergency kits, and more
- Rod & Staff Books– Bible-based homeschool curriculum
Amazon Mom – Save money on diapers, wipes, and more!
TRUE CHRISTIAN MOTHERHOOD – This ebook will change the way you engage your children forever
Would you like to be a sponsor?
There are affiliate links in this post. This means is you purchase something from the above links, I may or may not make a small commission from your purchase. Thank you for your support of Like a Bubbling Brook!