I’ve written about the Daniel Fast before (here), as well as shared recipes with you. During many Januarys, over the past several years, we’ve participated in the Daniel Fast with our local church. But what is the Daniel Fast Diet?
The Daniel Fast Diet is basically the same thing as the Daniel Fast, but done for overall health and wellness. Weight loss will occur with the Daniel Fast, which also has made it appealing to Christians who are looking for both spiritual and health benefits.
It’s intended to simulate a fast that Daniel did, as mentioned in the book of Daniel, chapter 10: “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” This was a partial fast that Daniel did for three weeks.
While you’re on a Daniel Fast Diet, you’ll abstain from all meats and animal products, as well as from added sweeteners, baked goods, and leavened breads. There will be no artificial preservatives, processed foods, deep fried foods, etc. Your diet will consist mostly of fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts. Your only beverage will be water.
While January is a popular time to do this fast, late summer and early fall are ideal times as well. You’ll be eating mostly fruits and vegetables, and there’s a bounty of freshly-picked produce to choose from at your local farmers market… or maybe you’re getting an abundant harvest from your own garden!
This is a time to cleanse your body and re-focus on the things that really matter to you.
Daniel Fast Diet: Meal Plan Ideas + Recipes
- Fresh fruit
- Whole oats, with fruit or almond mash stirred in
- Bananas mashed with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter
- Ezekiel sprouted grain toast with sliced avocado
- Leftovers from dinner
- Salads with oil and vinegar as the dressing
- Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with a natural nut butter spread
- Veggie chili
- Southwestern black bean tacos on toasted Ezekiel wraps
- Lentil soup (made without the bacon or wine), whole wheat chapatis
- Roasted vegetables over short grain brown rice
- White bean soup with greens, whole wheat chapatis
Curried vegetables over long grain brown rice
- Fresh fruits
- Veggies and my easy garlic hummus
- Roasted sweet potato “fries” (made in the oven)
- Popcorn (made fresh, not microwavable; there are tons of additives in microwavable popcorn)
*If you’d like this meal plan as a printable so you can hang it on your fridge or place it in a binder, grab my free printable PDF here: Daniel Fast Diet (printable)
Have you ever participated in a Daniel Fast? Did you experience weight loss, increased health, and better overall wellness during that time? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Daniel Fast Recipe Gallery:
(More coming soon!)