About ten years ago, a mentor and successful businessman counseled us with these wise words: “People don’t plan to fail, they fail to plan.” I believe that’s true.
I get so much more done when I’ve set specific, reasonable, measurable goals for myself.
Last year, I set some basic goals for a few things (like reading), but nothing like what I’ve done this year. I’ve broken everything down and spelled everything out — I haven’t done it this thoroughly in years. And it feels really, really good.
Let’s dig in…
Here are my goals for 2012:
- Continue daily Bible reading and prayer time.
- Complete the 21 day Daniel Fast.
- Read at least 24 books, or two books per month. (My January books are here)
- Complete the Couch to 5K program.
- Go on the Love Like You Mean It marriage cruise.
- Go on one overnight getaway.
- Have monthly date nights.
- Take each child out alone once per month.
- Work toward potty-training Preston.
- Go on at least one family vacation.
- Go on a family camping trip in the summer.
- Complete 12 read-aloud books.
- Continue having one family night together at home per week.
- Plan one family activity per week (hiking, walks, parks, etc).
- Visit with extended family at least once each month.
- Re-organize my homekeeping binder and recipe binder.
- Transform 8×8 closet downstairs into organized pantry for bulk purchases.
- Continue regular homemaking routine, including one load of laundry each day.
- Re-decorate master bedroom.
- Finish unpacking items still in boxes from move.
- Quarterly de-clutter the house.
- Complete second grade, begin third grade with Gentry.
- Begin simple pre-school lessons with Preston.
- Read one more book on Charlotte Mason’s philosophy and integrate ideas.
- Go on one field trip per month.
- Continue with swimming lessons for Gentry.
- Continue with art classes for Gentry.
- Assist my husband in preparing for monthly leadership meetings.
- Assist my husband in creating monthly ministry schedules.
- Assist my husband with paperwork for new church building construction.
- Plan two ladies events each quarter.
- Update church calendar each month.
- Read one ministry-related book per month.
- Other church planning, hospitality, banquets, etc as needed.
- Continue to tithe at least 10% of income.
- Give generously as needs arise and are prayerfully considered.
- Continue to save 100% of our rental’s net income (after taxes, tithes, etc) towards updating the rental property.
- Increase car savings to (XYZ).
- Increase emergency savings to (XYZ).
Did you set goals for this year? I’d love to hear about them in the comments!