Daniel Fast Meal Plan and Recipes

Monday marks the beginning of this year's Daniel Fast at our church. Are you familiar with it?  It's intended to simulate a fast that Daniel did, as mentioned in Daniel 10:2-3 ~

In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks.  I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

We will be abstaining from all meats and animal products, as well as from sweeteners, baked goods, and leavened breads.  Last year, my husband and I personally permitted a nominal amount of honey and pure maple syrup in our fast, but this year we will completely go without.  There will be no artificial preservatives, processed foods, deep fried foods, etc.  Our diet will consist mostly of fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts. Our only beverage will be water.

There are many helpful, in-depth books on the Daniel Fast if you're interested in learning more;  you can find them here.  Also, there are many people who utilize beans for protein on the Daniel Fast; Katie Kimball has a great ebook with bean techniques and recipes. Click here to view more details about her book.

Here's our meal plan for this week:

Breakfasts ~

Lunches ~

• Leftovers, salad

Dinners ~

Snacks ~

• Fresh fruits
  • Veggies and my easy garlic hummus
  • Nuts
  • Raisins
  • Roasted sweet potato "fries"
  • Popcorn

***I plan to be sharing a few more of these recipes this week and next as we go along, so please subscribe for email updates or join us on Facebook if you haven't already... that way you won't miss a post!***

The Daniel Fast closely resembles a whole foods cellular cleanse we do each year for health purposes, and we've really needed to cleanse after all the holiday treats we've enjoyed the last six weeks or so. As difficult as it is, I'm looking forward to this fast! We need it, both physically and spiritually!

It's a big year, there's much to do, and grand plans are ahead of us. Through it all, I'll be praying for you. Some of you really struggled through the past year, and I'm believing this new year will be a year of breakthroughs in your homes, marriages, and families. I want this site to be an oasis of hope, healing, and truth for you, a place where you can find inspiration and encouragement and feel Him stir your soul and tug at your heart.

My heart's desire is to be in tune and connected with Him throughout this year and every year He graciously gives to me.

I'm so glad you join me here, and desire to be connected with Him, too.

Warmly,

post signature

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe to Like a Bubbling Brook - it's free!  You may also easily follow along and get my shared links, tips, and more on Facebook .

***You can view all of my Daniel Fast posts here.***

Looking for more ideas?  This highly-rated Kindle book is on sale for ONLY $3.99 as I write this!!!  What a great deal!

Comments

1. feolafitness says:

Hi, Jaime! I know God is going to do great things in your life as you seek Him during your fast.

2. Nabila Grace says:

Is there any certain reason that you do this fast? For religious reasons or just use it as a guide in fasting?

3. Anonymous says:

everything sounds so yummy. i was planning on eating apples and salad for 10 days :)

4. Jaime @ Like a Bubbling Brook says:

Kristen, thanks so much for the resources. I'll be sure to pop over!

Nabila, we personally do it for both spiritual and health purposes. There are several instances in the Bible were fasts were done either corporately or privately, see Matt. 6:16-18, Matt. 9:14-15, Esther 4:15-16, Isaiah 58:5-7. Those are just a few… and the book of Acts also outlines great moves of God that came about by a combination of prayer and fasting. Hope that helps answer your question!

5. Amy says:

Hello my friend, thank you so much for posting this! Brandon and I will be doing quite a bit of fasting the next two weeks and we have gone back and forth about what kind of fast to do. Neither of us have ever done the Daniel fast, although we have many friends who have.this seems like the perfect fast for mommies who need some energy! Ha :) thanks for th info!

Ps this is the first time I've gone through my google reader in a whilemand oh wow, looks like I missed some good posts… But just to let you know my boy and girl are both crazy monkies! :)

6. Kristi says:

Hi Jaime, new follower via MPM. Your recipes look yummy, thanks for posting!

Kristi @
    Veggie Converter

7. Rachael says:

Hi Jaime! Thanks so much for complimenting me on my family! I appreciate you stopping by my blog…and I hope to start posting again soon. :) You also have such a beautiful family!!!

8. Pierce Household says:

Hello, thank you for your timely post :) My family (Hubby, me, 18 year old daughter and 16 year old son) and I have been considering a fast to start of the new year and this feels right. Do you have more information on the Daniel fast or is there a website you use for your information? If you wouldn't mind sending me some information, I would greatly appreciate it. God bless your precious family. My email is lve2shp@msn.com Thanks, Sharon

9. Michelle says:

My family and I are doing this fast too and its so nice to know we aren't alone! Today, my husband and I didn't eat until we got hungry which was around 2 in the afternoon. We had rice with steamed vegetables. Tonight is the vegetarian chili, but I have to be honest, I am not hungry at all! But I have 4 children who might get a little grumpy if I didn't feed them:)

10. Mrs.C says:

I think we need to look into doing this, to get ourselves back on track after the holidays. Too much white stuff in our diet recently, white flour and sugar.

Thank you for this post, it really is an encouragement, I know when we deny our flesh it is only for our good, physically and spiritually.

Really enjoying your music at the moment. So beautiful!

11. Lisa says:

May the Lord bless you during this fast. I give you credit! Blessings!

12. Jansen Family says:

This is such a great reminder to take care of our bodies. It reminds me a lot of my mom's concept of a healthy diet–it sounds just like our menus growing up! She did let us have honey and a little bit of sugar and meat, though. She based a lot of her ideas on scriptures, and I actually think it was really good for us. I have definitely let too much sugar creep into my diet! Fixing that is a great goal for 2011!

~Carla

13. Jasmine says:

Jaime, I enjoy fasting for physical as well as spiritual purposes.

May the Lord bless you and your husband as you seek more of Him.

Thanks for linking up today.

14. Tina says:

I'm so thankful to find this post via Raising Homemakers. This is the first time I'm participating in a Daniel Fast & it's very difficult. I'm very encouraged to read your menu ideas & to know so many others are participating.

15. EatHealthyLiveWell says:

My pastor called a 21-day fast to be completed in January, and many of us are doing the Daniel fast for it. Thanks for the meal suggestions for it!

16. Lisa @Cents To Save says:

You will be blessed!

17. Jamie Altman says:

Thank you for posting this. I'm trying to do the Daniel Plan via the internet, but we were not given the week 1 assignment. The only information I have is the workbook. I love your meal plan. I would also love to know how to make it! :) Thanks for your blog! God bless, Jamie Altman, Calhoun, GA

18. NewYearNewMe says:

Terrific post. I’ve heard of this fast, and I’ll be following you through it. There are many Biblical examples of healthy living and eating, and fasting. This is interesting. God bless you in this effort.