How To Make Scrumptious Blueberry Jam

We've been drowning in blueberries the last several days... we went blueberry picking and have since made blueberry pie, blueberry muffins, and lots of blueberry jam.  I thought I'd take a few minutes to share with you how we make our blueberry freezer jam.  It's really quite simple to do!

My recipe is a reduced-sugar recipe, so you can enjoy more of the fresh fruit taste.  It also doesn't require Sure-jell or any kind of pectin; you really don't need to use it with blueberries.

One thing to keep in mind is that you want to work in small batches, or your jam may not set properly.  I've had good results doing six cups per batch, so...

Rinse six cups of blueberries and pour them into a large, heavy pot; set pot to medium high.

As blueberries come to a simmer, mash them with a potato masher until they are a bit soupy in consistency.  Let them simmer for 2-3 minutes, then slowly add in three cups of white sugar, stirring constantly.

Bring to an even boil, where the pot is still bubbling although you are stirring, and let boil gently for about 5-7 minutes.

When you think the jam has thickened a bit, put a tablespoon or two of the jam on a small plate and place it in the freezer for one minute.  When you pull the plate out and tilt it diagonally, does the jam try to hold it's shape a bit, or is it runny?  If it tries to hold a shape, you are ready to remove the pot from the burner.

Ladle the jam into clean jelly jars (you'll need six of them, although I used larger jars here since I was out of jelly jars), put on the lids and rings, and let sit on a cooling rack until they've reached room temperature, which may take a few hours.

Once the jam is ready, I put one in the fridge to use right away, and the others in my deep freeze for later :)

(We've prepared peach jam the same way, using peeled and chopped peaches... both are scrumptious spooned onto a slice of homemade bread or warmed over vanilla ice cream!)

Blueberry jam over my cinnamon raisin walnut bread

What's your favorite kind of jam?

Enjoy,
post signature

Also shared at Raising Homemakers

Search & Win

Comments

1. April@The 21st Century Housewife says:

Your jam looks absolutely delicious – blueberries are my favourite fruit.

2. Melinda says:

Drowning in blueberries? What a happy place to be! :) I'm with you – I prefer less sugar in my jam – it allows the fruit flavor to really come up!

3. SnoWhite says:

YEA!! I love that there is no pectin in this recipe :) Thank you for giving me a jam recipe I can make!!

4. Kathie @ Just a Happy Housewife says:

I have never had blueberry jam, I need to try this out!

5. the country cook says:

Love blueberry jam! So this is a freezer jam recipe? Sounds delicious! – http://www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

6. KatiePerk says:

This looks so pretty! I will give it a try! I popped over from Tasty Tuesday!

7. Mary @ A Simple Twist of Faith says:

Wow! This looks absolutely delicious!
    Maybe one day I will be talented enough to do something like this, right now I am just getting use to this full-time Mom gig!

8. Brenda says:

My sister makes this every year and gives me some. I make the strawberry :)

9. Sofia's Ideas says:

That looks really simple to make, not to mention delish!

I'm stopping by through Steady Mom's 30 Minute Challenge. I hope you'll do the same! You can find me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

10. Katie @ Frugal Femina says:

I like the reduced-sugar version, too. And we are going to have peaches to use any day. Thanks for the idea, and thanks for linking up at {Dish It!}. c-: ~ Katie

11. Pamela says:

Is there any reason why this couldn’t be processed in a water bath or pressure canner instead of the freezer? We are trying to get away from the freezer as we move toward off grid. I DO hope you will say yes! :-) Since it is small batch, I could always just try it and see!

• Jaime says:

I don’t see why not. I’d check (google?) the acidity of blueberries first – if they aren’t quite acidic enough for a water bath canner, I’d add a tbsp of lemon juice.

12. Felicia says:

I actually went blueberry picking myself this weekend, so this is perfect! I do have a recipe for blueberry jam that contains pectin, so I’m going to have to try this out! :-)

13. April says:

What a great simple recipe!! It will be blueberry season here really soon, I will have to add this to my list of things to make- looks yummy!! Great post! Thanks~April

14. Grant W says:

Thanks for the easy recipe! I tried a second batch with two more cups of berries and one less cup of sugar and it was little less sugar sweet with more berry flavor.

15. Susan says:

Since it’s wild blueberry season here in Maine we, too, are awash in blueberries (about 18 gallon bags worth!). This is just the ticket for taking care of that bounty. Thank you for the post!! Between the zucchini, blueberries, and wild raspberries and blackberries, I have a feeling I won’t be getting out of the kitchen any time soon! What a bountiful blessing!! How abundantly the Lord provides!!

16. mary says:

With no pectin jams…do you have to freeze them or do they have a shelf life? If so, how long is the shelf life?

• Jaime says:

Mary, I usually freeze what I won’t be using within a couple of weeks. You can use a water bath canner and can them, though.

17. Luccia says:

Can one add lemon juice, and/or spices to this recipe? My grandma made the most delicious blue grape jam you would ever want to eat. However, she cooked it, (I believe) w/o pectin. I was too young to notice whether she used pectin or not. The jam was never too thick. I can still smell the aroma of it cooking. Sure miss the jam. I’ve made strawberry freezer jam, but, I always used liquid pectin. Ciao, Luccia

18. daniel b t says:

Followed your recipe, 6 cups berries, 3 cups white sugar, and a pinch of salt to help bring as much flavor out of the berries as possible. Reused 3 salsa glass jars and lids. washed jars and let them dry some what in dishwasher, but ended up putting them in a preheated over at 400f. ( turn off as jars are put in ). I Put clean lids in boiling water that I had just turned off, Make sure the jam is still at boiling temp. and fill jars uo to 1/2 in. from to , place lid and tighten (lightly). place inverted on a T-towel or cooling rack. and wait for the sound of the lids popping, always check for proper lid seal, vaccume. and don’t for get to wipe off the rim of the jar after filling to make sure that it will make a good seal,clean paper towel works good. I don” think that if your careful and clean that a hot pack is neassery if just to seal for a week or two, besides it neaver lasts more than a couple days. love you all. Dan T.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree Dan. T. I just had cup of blueberries and a cup of mixed rasberries. Followed the directions and only added one cup of sugar. Turned out great and I too did not use super hot jars, because I knew it would not be around for long in this home plus giving a small jar to a friend…
      Super jam!

19. kathi glass says:

Simple, delicious & so very easy! Thanks for sharing this recipe!! :o )

20. Sandi says:

This week, I’ve made raspberry jam – low sugar, no pectin in sterilized jars and a water bath- and it turned put great. Tried blueberry jam today, jars sealed, but didn’t put them in a water bath…the jam is runny in the jars…does that mean I have to eat/share that jam quickly or it will spoil?
    Sandi